About the settlers in Banat
An easy tour for a half-day in the Northern Banat. We will find interesting things about the settlers in Banat and we will see beautiful places.
Banat province was conquered by the Habsburg Empire at the beginning of the 18th Century. This province became the private property of the Habsburgs. That is why they start to send colonists massively. Between 1718 and 1772 more than 160.000 colonists were brought here. Most of them were Germans but there were also Romanians, Serbians, Italians, French, and Spanish. Let’s see their villages and find their stories. Here is what we are going to do:
- Vinga village – a short visit to the impressive church built by the Bulgarian community;
- Arad – a short visit to the city center;
- Radna Monastery – the most important pilgrimage place for the catholic colonists in Banat;
- Soimos Fortress – if the weather is good and we feel fit, we can hike the hill up to the fortress;
- Altringen – visit a cozy German guesthouse. Time for coffee/tea and cakes or lunch;
- Charlottenburg – the only circular village in Romania; built by the Austrian administration for the 32 settlers’ families who came here in 1771.
Transportation by car/minivan is included. You will be picked up and dropped off at your hotel.
Not included in the price: lunch